Call 111 now. 

If you have suffered an electrical shock (or you know someone who has) contact emergency services immediately or go to the emergency room at the hospital. Electrical shocks are very dangerous – even if someone appears to be fine, there could be internal damage. 

If you want more information about what to do after electric shock, read the rest of this article. 


What to do After Electric Shock 

The first thing you need to do is call emergency services and explain what has occurred. If they advise you to do so, you should turn off the power to the entire building. This will help to ensure nobody else is injured. 

Please note: If there is any water around the victim or wet areas in the building, do not come into contact with it. Do not touch the victim until emergency services arrive and you are sure that the power is off. 

If you are in a remote area and do not have immediate access to emergency services, you can help the victim in the following manner: 

  • Turn the power off 
  • Check for breathing – if you know CPR you can administer it if necessary 
  • If the victim is responsive and breathing, you can cool any burns with cool running water. Do not administer any oils or creams. 
  • Talk calmly to the person 

What to do Before an Electric Shock

Before you’re in a situation where you have to Google “what to do after electric shock”, there are some preventative measures you can take. 

At Jim’s Test & Tag, we specialise in safety advice for businesses. If you want to avoid electrical shock at home you can take a look at this handy guide for more tips. 

If you own or operate a business, you have an obligation to minimise the chance of electric shock. You can do this in a number of ways: 

  • Electrical appliance testing will catch out faulty appliances before they cause harm. In New Zealand, it is a requirement to conduct regular inspections in your business. 
  • Don’t overload power boards and adaptors 
  • Only use a licensed electrician to conduct electrical work 
  • Keep water away from electrical appliances 
  • Buy power boards with inbuilt RCD switches 
  • Dispose of damaged equipment 

If you can hear crackling noises or have noticed your appliances and cords getting hot, get rid of them. Buying new items is worth the cost of safety. 

Symptoms of Electric Shock 

If you suspect that someone has had an electrical shock, you can keep your eye out for these symptoms. As we said earlier, not all symptoms are visible so it will always be necessary to consult with a medical professional. 

Major Electric Shock Symptoms 

  • unconsciousness / unresponsive 
  • no breathing or difficulty breathing 
  • no pulse or weak pulse
  • cardiac arrest 
  • severe burns (entrance and exit burns)

– loss of vision or hearing 

Minor Electric Shock Symptoms 

  • noticeable burns to the skin 
  • a period of unconsciousness 
  • confusion
  • tingling after electric shock 
  • headache


Common Causes of Electric Shock 

Stay alert when using electricity. It can be easy to get complacent because we handle it every day but electricity can kill.  

Look out for these common causes of electric shock: 

  • faulty appliances 
  • exposed wiring 
  • contact with water 
  • fallen powerlines 
  • lightning 


Contact Jim’s Test & Tag Today 

Now that you know what to do after electric shock, take the preventative steps so you never have to endure one. 

Contact our team now and make sure all of your electrical appliances are safe to use. Electrical safety cannot wait. 

Call now or fill in the online form for a free quote.