Workplace health and safety procedures have never been so advanced, so how do electric shocks happen on the job? There are a number of reasons why people are still being exposed to danger at work.

These reasons include the following:

  • faulty appliances have not been tested or removed from the workplace
  • staff do not have adequate safety training
  • electrical hazards do not have an action plan
  • human error (accident)
  • circuit protection failure

To ensure electrical safety at work, you need to know how electric shocks happen, and how to prevent them in your unique environment.

The first thing you need to do is understand electrical shock.


How do electric shocks happen?

A shock occurs when a person comes into contact with electricity. Whether it’s a faulty appliance or an exposed wire — electricity will take the shortest and easiest path to the earth.

When a person interrupts the current with their body, the electricity will flow through them and into the ground, resulting in an electric shock. To stop the shock, the source of the electricity needs to be stopped. That’s why we have circuit breakers.

Electric shocks can happen when there is a faulty appliance, or a situation where the equipment has not been used correctly. For example, when a person puts a knife in a toaster, the metal is a conductor and instead of travelling through the toaster, the electricity will travel through the knife and into the person — resulting in a shock.

This kind of shock is easy to avoid by following the manufacturer instructions.

But what about accidents? How do we prevent people from being harmed at work?

The first thing you need to do is conduct an electrical risk assessment, and make a plan for how you will manage those risks. If you work in a high-risk environment, staff training and a continuous focus on safety is essential.

You can also contact your local WorkSafe representative to ask for more advice that is specific to your workplace.


Detecting Faulty Appliances Before a Shock Occurs

Instead of asking “how do electric shocks happen?”, start asking how you can stop them from happening.

At Jim’s Test & Tag, we truly believe in being proactive. The only way to improve workplace safety is to act now.

We offer test and tag services to a whole range of businesses around New Zealand. Part of our work involves inspecting and identifying faulty appliances before a shock occurs. If we find something dangerous, you will find out straight away. We can either repair or remove it from your workplace.

Aside from testing and tagging appliances, we offer RCD testing. This is another essential measure for preventing electric shocks at work. You are required by local standards to have your appliances and circuit protection inspected regularly. Safety is too important to ignore.

With documentation from our team, you will be able to prove your compliance with New Zealand safety standards.


Contact Jim’s Test & Tag Today

Contact us now to book in for an inspection.

We can test and tag your appliances, perform leakage tests, and make sure your circuit protection is working properly.

As your local electrical safety experts, Jim’s Test and Tag can give you the peace of mind in knowing your workplace is as work-safe as possible.

The safety of your employees and visitors to your workplace is to important to leave to chance. You can make your workplace a safe place starting today.


Call us now or fill in the online form for a free quote.