At Jim’s Test & Tag, we have a team of experienced electrical testing technicians who use quality portable appliance testers. You can join a group of successful franchisees who inspect and test electrical appliances. We have a supportive training program that allows every Jim’s member to flourish. We accept franchisees who have a range of life experiences – it doesn’t matter if you have limited technical knowledge. Our induction process is designed to educate each of our safety technicians and give them the tools they need to be successful in this industry. If a career in portable appliance testing interests you, you’re in the right place.
Who can use a Portable Appliance (PAT) tester?
Appliances must be inspected and tested by a trained electrical testing professional. In order to meet compliance requirements, a technician must be familiar with the relevant national standards for safety testing. All Jim’s Test & Tag team members complete PAT testing work according to the AS/NZS 3760, and the AS/NZS 3012.
- The AS/NZS 3760:2010 is the most recent New Zealand standard for in-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment.
- The AS/NZS 3012:2010 is the most recent New Zealand standard for Electrical installations – Construction and demolition sites.
If you aren’t familiar with the relevant standards, it is not safe to complete any testing. We provide our technicians with quality testing devices as well as thorough training to ensure accurate results.
How do portable appliance testers work?
Before involving any equipment, a Jim’s technician will complete a visual assessment of each item, noting any damage to flexible cables and connections. Once this is complete, our team members will use the testing equipment to check off the inspection requirements dictated by the relevant standards. The nature of each test will vary based on the environment and the type of appliance.
A Jim’s Test & Tag technician will attach a PAT test instrument to the piece of equipment for inspection. The technician will use the device to carry out the following basic safety checks for the appliance:
- Earth continuity test
- Insulation resistance test
- Check the wiring and flow of current for any abnormalities/faults
Our training and supply of quality equipment (including portable appliance testers) give Jim’s technicians the ability to inspect and test portable RCDs and fixed RCDs. The dynamic nature of our inspection service means that clients only need to go to one place for safety testing. If you join our team, you will be able to secure long-term clients who want to remain compliant with safe work standards.
Why is it important?
If you join our team, you are choosing a rewarding career option. Our testing services save lives. In 2016, 49 people in New Zealand died at work. You can help to directly reduce that number by choosing a career with us.
Most portable appliances are located on construction or electrical installation sites. 6 of these 49 deaths occurred on construction sites, whilst 2 more occurred in the electricity, gas, water and waste services industry. In the last 5 years, 42 fatalities have occurred in these two industries. It is clear that work can be a dangerous place.
Our most frequent client base is made up of small organisations and independent businesses. Protect workers from harm and find satisfying work with our test and tag team. You can help people remain safe at work and reduce workplace fatalities across the nation.
Start Your Own Test and Tag Franchise
If you’re interested in joining our team, contact us today. We want to expand our reach across New Zealand with a group of dedicated franchisees. If you join Jim’s Test and Tag, you will have access to the following range of advantages:
- Competitive earnings: Our existing franchisees have enjoyed the financial reward of being part of the Jim’s Test & Tag team. You will have control of your earnings and support from the regional franchisors. Technicians have more disposable income for holidays and big-ticket items as well as additional time to spend with family and friends.
- Flexibility: Being your own boss means that you can work when it suits you. Achieve work/life balance by investing in this career change. Our mobile service means that you can choose an office or base that is convenient while you travel to clients in your area. We don’t just offer a career – we offer a lifestyle.
- Rewarding relationships: Build a client base that you like. Franchisees develop long-term relationships with recurring clients. Through a good working relationship, our technicians make more sales and enjoy their work. Our technicians feel supported by their regional franchisors and have access to a network of likeminded individuals.
- Industry Equipment: We ensure that every Jim’s Test & Tag technician has access to quality equipment. This includes top of the line portable appliance testing.